Well, since it's Valentine's day I thought I would just jot a little story about how Don and I became "The Carlson Family".
I wish my story had a romantic trip, hell even my name on a scoreboard at a Brewer game, or even a romantic walk through Central Park, but it doesn't. And yet, it seems perfect to me.
Don and I met when he was hanging out with my at the time current boyfriend, who shall remain nameless. The funny thing was Don had some stories behind him in school. You know the he moved here because he threatened to kill someone OR had killed someone stories. No one really knew who he was.
So the day I was hanging out with my BFF at the time Joy and the phone rang and it was boyfriend at the time I really didn't think nothing of it. Until he said the words "Don and I are coming over". "Ummmm excuse me??! You are bringing Creepy Carlson over?!?!" That was my response. My mother would kill me if I let a killer in the house. I quickly shut the shades and told Joy she COULD NOT leave my house with him here, incase he did kill someone. Little did I know a couple hours later I would be head over heals in love with a kid I knew nothing about. He came over. I sat on the porch watching him and boyfriend jump on my big trampoline completely dazed. Joy sitting next to me rambling on about something and me... just watching him. Feeling guilty of course because my boyfriend was 3 inches away from him, but I was gone.
A lot happened between 6th grade and high school. We went out as friends (me still dating ex-boyfriend a.k.a. best friend). The local hang out at the time was "Skate City". We went there often. Him being a bad ass "I don't skate, unless it's my song" and hanging by the video games. WOW! Should have taken a hint there! HAHAHA.
Anyway, I made a bet with him. If mine and ex boyfriends song played and then mine and Don's song (yeah after all those late night secret chats we had a song) played I would dump boyfriend for him. Imagine my surprise when it happened. I still don't know the details behind HOW this happened as they were the 2 most opposite songs on the planet, rumor has it the DJ was paid to do it, but regardless I dumped boyfriend on the spot and was now with Don. Yeah, I was a heartless bitch. What can I say?
Lots happened after that, some good, some bad. We eventually went our own ways on account of me being a heartless bitch again. And then we ended up in the same place at the same time. That was how the rest of it would always happen. We had Mrs. Abitz's film class together. He would show photos of his "older hotter" girlfriend laying on pool tables IF he showed up to class. He was a bad ass. TOTALLY not my type, but damnit I wanted him BAD.
I went off to college... him... well wherever he went. Then one day I was home from college visiting my dad after a pretty bad breakup from long time southern boyfriend, and we are driving down college ave. I see Don in MY old Camaro. I grab my phone see his name in my contacts and PRAY he didn't change numbers and hit dial. I casually said, "You look hot in my old car." I have NO idea why I said that, but I'm glad I did.
To fast forward, we spent sometime together. I gave him a CD with the song "Don't Cha" by the Pussy Cat Dolls on it and told him to listen to it, he shortly there after left his girlfriend and her army of children (I became known as the homewrecker). And we dated. In a whirl wind we got engaged (not a great story either but super sweet on his part), a year later broke up because the long distance was hard, got back together after a couple hotel room hook ups, and then got married.
I've loved and wanted Don since that day he came over. I miss those days where he tell me he loved me. I feel like it's said out of habit now, as I'm running out the door at 5:15. But I do love him as much as I did that day.
Awwww. Your story is so romantic. You should so just start calling him "Creepy Carlson" again just to reignite the fire of the old days. Or take him to "Skate City" though you might look like a couple of creepers. hehe. :)
ReplyDeleteHe hates when I call him that. LOL. There's a lot of back story in there but didn't feel like boring ppl with minor details, but that in a nut shell is the Don and Kym story. Living it, it seems worse. Like I was just bouncing from guy to guy but really I dated Adam 4 years, RJ 3 years... so it wasn't like he was just a fling I happened to marry. LOL.
ReplyDelete